Following the statement issued by the minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed that the Federal Government know the hideouts of bandits terrorizing the country but only being careful, Reno Omokri, an ex-aide to former President Goodluck Jonathan has taken to his Twitter handle to lambast the minister.
Independence Online news platform had earlier reported that the Minister in a press briefing on Tuesday said the government indeed knew the locations of kidnappers, adding that security agencies were only being careful to avoid civilian casualties.
Mohammed said, “One of the most difficult things to do, for a democratically-elected government, is to use the instruments of coercion against its own people.
“For example, while the nation’s military has superior firepower over the ragtag band of Boko Haram and ISWA, the terrorists most often than not operate among the populace, either in our villages or towns, hence the military, in tackling them, is usually careful to avoid collateral damage.
Reacting to the statement in a string of tweets on Wednesday, Omokri said that the government was not careful with #EndSARS protesters last October when soldiers allegedly opened fire on youths at the Lekki toll gate in Lagos, injuring over 30 protesters and allegedly killing some youths.
He wrote, “Lai Mohammed says the Buhari government knows where kidnappers are, but are only being ‘careful’. But why was the Buhari administration not careful during #LekkiMassacre, or when they massacred Nigerian Shiites? Why is their mercy only reserved for kidnappers?
“Lai, why is your government now appealing to bandits and herdsmen? Did you ‘appeal’ to #EndSARS protesters before massacring them, or to the people of Orlu before slaughtering them? The Buhari administration is a useless embarrassment!”